As a farmer and a woman, I like to believe I am tough. My husband used to work in the oilfield and was gone for weeks on end and now during seeding and harvest and spraying (so pretty much April-October) he is almost always in the field. Because of that, I have acquired an array of skills that allow me to take care of everything when he is gone. Now, I normally think there are some things that just women should do and some that just men should do but when I chose this project I said “Screw it”, why can’t I do this?
So I have been searching and searching, as you can see on my last post, for different blogs about what to do and how to do it. I think I got a pretty good start! I started by sanding the boards down. Some of them that we used were old so I needed to sand them down in order to paint them later.
I sanded and sanded until they looked like the other boards and then figured out how large I wanted the TV table. I laid out the boards so that I could get a visual of how they needed cut and then measured out where I would put the boards and so that I know where my frame would be. For the TV table, I simply matched one side to another and then built up from there.
I then used these bad boys to get them. The red one is a skill saw that is used for “ripping” the board or cutting them down the long way. The blue one is a sliding miter saw and is used for one direct cut (either at 90degrees or at an angle).
I did not get a picture of some of the middle steps as it was a little tricky but I stood up both side frames and then nailed three boards in the middle. The middle and bottom one I ripped to make smaller so that it would fit in between my frames. The top one I measured so that there was an inch overhang all the way around and then nailed the braces to that area of the board after marking it.
My TV stand was a little bit wobbly so I made this X on both sides, partially for decoration and partially for a brace. This was pretty tricky! My husband is very handy for things like this, we, or he, built our house from lock up stage. I mostly painted and he did all of this type of work. I had not used math to figure out angles since Math 30 in high school so that was a lot of trial and error. After I finally got the angles figured out I used the nail gun to nail in the X’s and I was pretty proud of how my piece was starting to look.
I realized after all of my work, that the top of the three shelves and the front of the stand had quite a few nail marks. After reading more on how to distress wood to get the rustic look I am after, I realized those marks may not be so bad after all! I can actually use those and add more screw marks along the way to make it have the look I want.
By now, my hand was starting to really hurt and a storm was starting to roll in so I figured it was time to quit! I decided to go to the city and search for stain and paint to finish the TV stand, as that is pretty much all that is left, and that was a whole battle of it’s own!
Until next time, hopefully this will keep you entertained!